Mission Patagonia 2023
March 1 st to 10 th
Mission Patagonia offers you a unique experience in one of
the most remote places on the planet
Immerse yourself in the Melimoyu Elemental Reserve, a place to explore the effective conservation of strategic marine and terrestrial ecosystems.
Melimoyu Elemental Reserve is a pristine natural laboratory, surrounded by volcanoes, ice, fjords, cetaceans, blue whales, and other unique resources where we investigate and share innovative approaches to effective conservation and climate change mitigation.
Dare to join this expedition to explore effective conservation of Patagonia, and learn what it means to care for fragile ecosystems and preserve biodiversity, while you experience the overwhelming emotion from integrating yourself into this dazzling environment.
Who is eligible to apply to Mission Patagonia?
The program is open to individuals around the world who are
- Over 18 years old
- interested in learning more about environmental and sustainability sciences and a more holistic approach to learning,
- have demonstrated experience in public outreach and engagement, and
- are willing and able to share their Mission Patagonia experience with others in their home communities and elsewhere via social media, presentations, blogs and other media, etc.
- Have a fluent English knowledge
Please direct questions to:
Yasmin Catricheo- YCatricheo@aui.edu
We encourage you to be an agent of environmental change … a guardian of nature.
Llegando a Melimoyu/ Getting to Melimoyu:
Arrival to Santiago. -Wait for the whole group to arrive- on boarding activity.
Vuelo/ Flight Santiago- Castro, so as to arrive at 12 (noon) at most
– Noche en palafito (2 noches: 28 y 29) contacto con artista local) / spend the night in Palafito- (Contact with local artist)
Barcaza/ boat to Melimoyu, 11 PM (12 hs navegación)
llegada a Melimoyu al mediodía/ Arrival to Melimoyu.- AM- noon-
Estadía en Melimoyu/ Stay at Melimoyu:
PM- Bienvenida – conociendo Melimoyu/ On boarding- getting to know Melimoyu
Day 5 – Day 6 – Day 7 – Day 8
• Whale/Marine Life Watch
• Nature Hikes
• Terrestrial Observations
• Darwin Frog Search
• Presentations and discussion with scientists and researchers
• Identifying clues to climate change
• Ecosystem Explorations
PM – Barco/ Barcaza to Quellon
• Llegada / Arrival to Quellon- AM
• Traslado a Castro y noche en Palafito
AM Traslado a Puerto Montt – vuelo de regreso a Santiago / transfer to Puerto Montt- Flight back to Santiago- // o Castro- Stgo-
Debriefing. – public presentation of outreach activity.